McDonald's Staff Tell Mom To 'Breastfeed In Toilet'


A new mum was left in tears after McDonald's staff told her to breastfeed her baby in a public toilet.

Christine Wilson, 22, was banned from a branch in Canley, Coventry on March 29. The mum, a carer, had gone into the fast-food restaurant to feed her seven-month old son Brooklyn when he started to cry in the city's West Orchard Shopping Centre in town.

But Christine says workers 'threw her out' and says she was left 'shocked' and 'in tears'.

"I feel scared to go out on my own with little Brooklyn now - I'm a young mum and feel very vulnerable whenever I have to breastfeed in public," she said.

"Over the last few months I've had really problems feeding in public. I've had all sorts of comments from passersby, telling me to cover up, calling me vile and saying I'm a bad mum. It really affects your confidence, especially when it's your first child.

"I was doing some shopping on the day in question, and wanted to go and have a bite to eat in McDonald's. As soon as I walked in, Brooklyn started crying his eyes out, he was desperate to be fed.

"I went up to a member of staff and asked where I could go to feed him. I was told the only place that I could go was the shopping centre toilets - it was horrific.

"Who in their right mind is going to feed their young child in the toilet? It's so unsanitary.

"I went to the fifth floor to speak to management and explained my situation to them. Again, the response was that I had to go to the toilets and be discreet about it."

Christine continued: "I asked him how he would feel about eating food whilst sitting on the toilets, and he said that would be disgusting - even though that's effectively what he was telling my son to do.

"As I left the office there was a woman on reception who was looking right at me and started laughing. The whole experience left me feeling incredibly embarrassed and victimised.

"In the end I had to feed him on a spare table by the escalators, which was utterly humiliating.


No comments